So, we've all heard some of the horror stories of accidents happening. A fall off your prized and beloved bike could often be only the tip of a rather unlpeasant ice-berg.
In todays age of litigation and blame culture that we now live in, it makes sense to take out some cover prior to anything happening.
Both of the big cycling bodies British Cycling & CTC and many others offer 3rd party public liability insurance, covering the cyclist while out & about on your bike.
Below is an example of the benefits on offer from British Cycling, all offered for a price of just over £2 per month £32 a year with a reduction for family membership. The CTC offer something very similar to this with a family of 4 membership costing £66 per year, but they also offer 6 cycle magazines per year, access to CTC tours and a host of other benefits.
Ride Membership Benefits
For just £33 a year (that's just over £2 a month) you will enjoy:
- Weekly email, full of exclusive offers, news and tips
- Up to £10m third party liability insurance
- Save 10% at Halfords stores nationwide
- Free legal support and advice from our expert team
- Full access to tips and advice from our experts in the British Cycling Insight Zone
- Save a minimum of 12% at the British Cycling Wiggle shop
- British Cycling Bike Insurance - preferential rates for members
- Pre-sale and discounted tickets to major UK cycle events
- Great offers at CNP Professional
- Save up to £23 a year on magazines including Cycling Plus, Procycling and Mountain Biking UK
- Get a free copy of Rouleur worth £10
- Save up to 40% on TrainingPeaks Premium Athlete edition
- British Cycling Mapping
All in all I think you would agree that it makes sense for us all to be covered should the worst happen on any of our outings, the least we can have is peace of mind knowing that a professional organisation will take on your case should a lawsuit come your way.
British Cycling or Cycle Touring Club, whichever you choose, do the right thing and choose one