Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ribble Valley Ride Sunday 11th June

Ribble Valley Ride Sunday 11th June 8 months 1 day ago #4110

Really good ride last year
And entries now open for this time round.

www.ribblevalleyride.org/
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jimcurtis

Ribble Valley Ride Sunday 11th June 7 months 4 weeks ago #4111

I'm in. Great fun.

60 mile enthusiast?
I am the voice of humility.... and don't you forget it!!

Ribble Valley Ride Sunday 11th June 4 months 4 days ago #4150

Roll call for the Ribble Valley Sportive. Less than a month to go!!!
Sixty miles. I'm in. :)

Ribble Valley Ride Sunday 11th June 3 months 4 weeks ago #4151

I had a little wobble about this but having given it some thought and remembered the super flapjacks at the food stops I have signed up.
60 miles enthusiast, it is.

Need to set the alarm clock for an early start....

Ribble Valley Ride Sunday 11th June 3 months 4 weeks ago #4153

With the miles you've been putting in recently it should be a doddle.
And if you're still a little wobbly I've just received an e mail advising they've had to re route one section due to severe pot holes. It's now 59.5 miles!

Ribble Valley Ride Sunday 11th June 3 months 3 weeks ago #4154

Sorry I cannot make this ride Pozzle, so I still haven't done it once. I'm completely tied now for that weekend.

Ribble Valley Ride Sunday 11th June 3 months 1 week ago #4165

according to my rider pack, the "enthusiast" riders :P :P set off between 8.00 and 8.59.
I shall cycle down to the start and will aim to arrive at the start point by 8.00; i'll be leaving home at 7.00 (yes, there are actually 2 seven o clocks on a sunday!) and cycle down whalley new road, past through langho, past petre arms and through whalley to the start point.

We can rendezvous at the start point at deanfield court at the registration point at 8.00 and go from there
Weather looks OK, but the wind against us for the last ride back in to clitheroe. should be dry though and not too hot.

see you all there!

Ribble Valley Ride Sunday 11th June 3 months 1 week ago #4166

8am Sunday and hopefully decent weather to help us on our way :cheer:

Ribble Valley Ride Sunday 11th June 3 months 6 days ago #4167

Another great Ribble Valley Sportive 60 with Gaz Wid somewhere up front and Jim keeping the pace as we undertook the ‘opposite way round’ 60 miler (which was actually fifty nine miles). Consequently the haul up onto the top of Malham was long, slow and fairly painful :S but at least it mitigated the risk of injury which took place with two crashes on the hairpins last year.

There were still some tricky gradients and cambers to navigate and strong head winds at various points on the course. I managed to get as far as just past Bolton by Bowland on the home leg before I finally ran out of steam with some three miles to go. Climbing up past the cement works with a strong wind trying to push me backwards was definitely not what I wanted with the scent of home in my nostrils.

As always, a good vibe behind the ‘Start’ line and out on the course in a fairly healthy looking ‘Peloton’ in the first ten miles before the course started to stretch everyone out. The two feed stations were buzzing and the selection and amount of food seemed particularly generous this year. I could have pigged out on ‘Oddies pies’ all day! :P

A time of 4 hrs 52 mins is thirty one minutes down on last year but I’m putting that down to those strong winds and the reversal of the course which gives it a completely different feel and challenge. Sunday 10th June 2018 should be a date for next year’s diary.

Ribble Valley Ride Sunday 11th June 3 months 5 days ago #4169

I could have done without those gusty winds, especially at the top of Malham moor where there was no shelter or cover apart from a few nervous-looking sheep. No trees,no walls, no buildings
But it was a good ride, over 500 out in total. Part one was out to gargrave and at a cracking pace but still unable to keep pace with Gary who must be on some kind of performance enhancing drugs (carling black label?). Part two was when the wind started to be a bit more hostile and then the climb up from Malham which was violent, murderous, challenging, painful and bloomin hard work. Apparently it is dangerous to come down this road but it was pretty dangerous going up!
From Stainforth back to Clitheroe we just battled into the teeth of a strong headwind. This is meant to be fun!!
I had planned to take the train back to Blackburn but my brain was so frazzled I decided to cycle back. As I reached Billington I realised the folly but by that time too late
All told (in spite of what I write here) it was a very good ride. Beautifully organised and well run. We can't complain about the weather, this is Lancashire in June so we get what we get.
Gary managed 4.17 (!) while Pozzle and I were at 4.50-ish. But its not a race :) Someone even managed 3.09 probably on a Yamaha or similar...

Ribble Valley Ride Sunday 11th June 2 months 3 weeks ago #4173

if you don't want to know the result, look away now B)
Attachments:

Ribble Valley Ride Sunday 11th June 2 months 3 weeks ago #4174

Ah you spotted the pici's. I was still fairly fresh at that stage. Things went downhill thirty miles later! :huh:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds
Download Free Designs http://bigtheme.net/ Free Websites Templates