Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Southport

Southport 5 months 1 week ago #4130

Today we tried something a bit different from the usual fare.
For a while, people have been requesting a less slopey ride but the problem is that when you start and finish in Blackburn, slopes are everywhere. So today we set off from Lostock Hall and explored the low lands of South Ribble and West Lancashire.
We were rewarded with sunny weather (at the start) and I was pleased to see a couple of old faces who we have missed lately. Welcome back Paul, Gary and Alex, great to have you along.
Also pleased to see some of the more familiar faces of Pozzle and Andrea, and we later met up with Stephen.
The route was not one that I was very familiar with, so there were a couple of potential navigation problems but apart from some confusion when I was looking to turn right at the Black Bull, only to discover that the Black Bull has been demolished and replaced with executive housing (booooo!), there were no other difficulties.
Some of the lanes leading to Southport were great cycling, very quiet but well surfaced. Plenty of good looking café stops as well which I made a mental note of.
Good to finally visit the much heralded Switch back which will be a future calling point on rides.
We lost Stephen and Andrea towards the end of the ride as they headed off home, and Gary made a swift exit as the chill was getting to his bones.
I decided to cycle back from Lostock hall and made a stop at café Delphine to get an ice cream. I arrived there at 3.57 which was a lucky break as they close at 4.00. 4 minutes later and there would have been a flood of tears in Gregson Lane.

Preston old Road was closed, the road sign said "Tree Fellers At Work" although I only saw 2 of them.

Thanks to everyone for joining the ride and taking part. Great fun. I reckoned on 48 miles to/from Lostock Hall.
I will not load a ride next Sunday (Easter) but might do something for Saturday if there is the interest.
I am the voice of humility.... and don't you forget it!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Southport 5 months 1 week ago #4132

Great ride Jim, thanks.
The cafe was as good as we've been to. They've put some work into presenting it.

Not sure how far we were off Southport front but then it's not a place where you can go and 'dip your wheels'!! That sand goes on for ever. :woohoo:
Poz

Southport 5 months 1 week ago #4134

Good ride Jim, it was a perfect one for which to make my return, nice distance and no hills although it did get a little windy at one point.
I was feeling the cold towards the end, a combination of the meds I'm on coupled with not getting wrapped up enough, it was supposed to be a hot day turned out to be nothing of the sort.
Can't wait for the next one, thanks again.
Punctures? What a let down
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds
Download Free Designs http://bigtheme.net/ Free Websites Templates